If you have a surgical operation planned in the near future, it is natural to feel a little worried. Perhaps you are wondering how well the surgery will go or how long your recovery period may be. Many people participate in physical therapy treatments after surgery as part of their recovery plan, which is undeniably helpful for the healing process. However, many people are unaware of the many benefits to completing a pre-surgical rehabilitation plan, before you even go under the knife. Contact Activcore today to find out more about how our pre-hab services can help you achieve a smooth surgery and recovery.
What is “pre-hab?”
Pre-surgical rehabilitation, or “pre-hab,” is becoming an increasingly recommended practice by surgeons, as it can improve the outcomes for their clients. Studies have shown that beginning physical therapy a month or so before undergoing a surgical procedure can greatly decrease your time spent in recovery. It is no secret that the preparation for surgery can leave you feeling anxious, but a pre-hab program may be able to put your mind at ease. By participating in a pre-surgical rehabilitation plan, you will receive the help you need to be as physically and mentally prepared as possible for your upcoming procedure.
How will I benefit from pre-hab?
According to the National Institutes of Health, participating in exercise therapies prior to surgery can exceptionally improve your post-operative outcomes and reduce your recovery time. Surgery can take a traumatic toll on your body; therefore, it is typically only performed when there are no other options available. Pre-surgical rehabilitation programs help to improve your strength and promote pain relief before surgery. Essentially, it prepares your body for the procedure. It can also help you prepare mentally, by encouraging an overall sense of well-being. When you participate in pre-hab, you will receive help with improving your range of motion and patterns of movement, through exercises that you can perform before and after your surgery. In general, one of our certified Orlando physical therapists will assist you in improving your physical health and promoting general wellness.
The six main ways that pre-hab works:
There are six essential keys to pre-surgical rehabilitation and how it can help improve your recovery:
- Reduced pain – No matter what your surgery may be for, pre-hab can help greatly reduce your pain. This can be done through a variety of methods, including ice and heat therapies, exercise, or massage.
- Reduced complications – Physical therapy treatments, especially those that incorporate exercise programs, can help increase your strength and endurance. As a result, this can improve your immunity, meaning that the chance of infection after surgery will be much lower.
- Increased stamina – Any kind of surgery you undergo will result in a loss of strength following the procedure. However, pre-hab can help in reducing how much strength is lost by increasing your stamina before the operation. Engaging in a physical routine before your surgery will improve your overall stamina and make the surgery much easier.
- Improved outcomes – According to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), pre-hab can improve the overall outcomes of surgery, and it can even help in saving money if everything goes smoothly. The stronger you are before the surgery, the more likely the surgery will be successful, and the less time you’ll have to spend recovering.
- Shortened recovery – By completing a pre-hab program before your surgery, your recovery should go much smoother than it would without pre-surgical physical therapy treatments. Having strong and toned muscles before surgery helps you get back to your regular routine much easier and quicker than it would without.
- The possibility of avoiding surgery. If your pre-hab treatments work well in improving your pain and overall condition, it may be possible to avoid surgery altogether. While this is not always the case, some clients have actually found that their pre-hab treatments were sufficient enough in reducing their pain that they canceled their procedure. If your condition begins to improve considerably after starting your treatments, you’ll want to consult with your physician regarding future treatment options and the possibility of avoiding an unnecessary procedure.
Contact Activcore today:
Pre-surgical rehabilitation has been known to provide a number of benefits for surgical clients. By consulting with one of our Orlando physical therapists, you will find out what treatment plan will be best for you to achieve the best physical results before your surgery. When you are as strong, flexible, and healthy as possible, you are able to regain normal function much quicker after your procedure is complete. Starting a pre-hab program also means you’ll be able to establish a positive training routine that you will already be accustomed to before your procedure, and you will be able to take that into your recovery for a better outcome.
If you have a surgery planned in the future, contact Activcore today to speak with one of our qualified team members. Our Orlando physical therapy practice is dedicated to providing you with the best treatment options available. For the best results, it’s important to get started as soon as possible. Schedule your appointment today to prepare for an easier procedure and recovery period. We’ll help you get back to your daily life as quickly as possible!